Coordinates : The Philadelphia Mint was created from the need to establish a national identity and the needs of commerce in the United States. This led the Founding Fathers of the United States to make an administration of a continental national mint, a main priority after the ratification of the Constitution of the United States. The Coinage Act of 1792 was entered into jurisprudence on April 2. It proclaimed the creation of the United States Mint. Philadelphia at that time was the state ‘s capital ; therefore the first mint facility was built there. The Coinage Act of 1792 besides instituted a decimal fraction system based on a dollar unit ; specified weights, metallic musical composition and fineness ; and required each United States coin sport “ an impression emblematic of autonomy ”.
Reading: Philadelphia Mint – Wikipedia
first gear construct ( 1792–1833 )
photo of 1908, since demolished inaugural Philadelphia Mint, build 1792, photograph of 1908, since demolished David Rittenhouse, an american english scientist, was appointed the first director of the mint by President George Washington. Two lots were purchased by Rittenhouse on July 18, 1792, at Seventh Street and 631 Filbert Street in Philadelphia for $ 4,266.67. The following day, demolition of an abandoned whiskey distillery on the property began. Foundation knead began on July 31, and by September 7, the first building was ready for initiation of the smelting furnace. The smack family was the first populace building erected by the United States politics. A three-story brick structure facing Seventh Street was constructed a few months late. Measuring closely 37 foot ( 11 meter ) wide on the street, it only extended second 33 foot ( 10 megabyte ). The amber and silver for the mint were contained in basement vaults. The first shock housed deposit and weigh rooms, along with the compress room, where striking coins took invest. Mint official offices were on the moment floor, and the assay agency was located on the third gear floor. A photograph of the Seventh Street build taken around 1908 show that by then, the year 1792 and the words “ Ye Olde Mint ” ( in quotes ) had been painted onto the facade. Between the smelt house and the build on Seventh Street, a grind sign of the zodiac was built. Horses in the basement turned a rolled grind located on the inaugural floor. In January 1816, the smell and mill houses were destroyed by a fire. The smelt theater was never repaired and all smelt was done elsewhere. The mill house, which was wholly destroyed, was soon replaced with a bombastic brick building. It included a new steam locomotive in the basement to baron the machinery. Until 1833, these three buildings provided the United States with heavily currentness. Operations moved to the second Philadelphia mint in 1833, and the state house the first mint was sold. In the deep 19th or early twentieth century, the property was sold to Frank Stewart, who approached the city, asking them to preserve or relocate the historic buildings. [ 1 ] With no governmental help, the first mint was demolished between 1907 and 1911. now, alone a small brass remains to memorialize the spot .
second building ( 1833–1901 )
pictured in 1902, since demolished second Philadelphia Mint, build 1833, pictured in 1902, since demolished On July 4, 1829, a basis was laid for the build at the intersection of Chestnut and Juniper Streets. It was designed by William Strickland. The second Philadelphia Mint, the “ grecian temple ”, was constructed of white marble with classic greek -style column on front and back. Measuring 150 foot ( 46 megabyte ) wide in presence by 204 ft ( 62 megabyte ) deep, it was a huge improvement over the first facility, in outer space angstrom well as image. Opening in January 1833, its production was constrained by the outdated machinery salvaged from the first mint. Franklin Peale was sent to Europe to study advanced coinmaking technologies which were brought bet on and implemented, increasing productivity and quality. Sold in 1902, the second base batch was cursorily demolished. The cornerstone buried in 1829 was unearthed and contained a candy jolt with a lapidify cork stoppering it. Inside the jolt were three coins, a few newspapers, and a scroll with information on the beginning batch and the creation of the second. The site has been occupied since 1914 by the 19-story Widener Building, 1339 Chestnut Street .
third build ( 1901–1969 )
The third Philadelphia Mint was built at 1700 Spring Garden Street and opened in 1901. It was designed by William Martin Aiken, Architect for the Treasury, but it was constructed under James Knox Taylor. It was a block from the United States Smelting company that was at Broad and Spring Garden Streets. In one year entirely, the mint produced 501 million coins ( 5/7 of the U.S. currentness minted ), arsenic well as 90 million coins for foreign countries. [ 2 ]
A massive social organization about a full city obstruct, it was an instant landmark, characterized by a Roman synagogue facade. Visitors enjoyed seven theme looking glass mosaics designed by Louis C. Tiffany in a gold-backed vault ceiling. The mosaics depicted ancient Roman coinmaking methods. This mint hush stands entire, and much of the interior is intact, a well. It was acquired by the Community College of Philadelphia in 1971 which retains a gallery in tribute to its history. [ 3 ]
Fourth and current build ( 1969–present )
The advanced Philadelphia Mint ( 1969 ) Two blocks from the site of the first mint, the fourth and current Philadelphia Mint opened its doors in 1969. It was designed by Philadelphia architect Vincent G. Kling, who would besides help invention Five Penn Center, Centre Square, and the Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts. [ 4 ] The Tiffany looking glass mosaics from the Third batch were re-installed in the fresh facility. [ 5 ] It was the earth ‘s largest mint when it was built and held that differentiation as of October 2017. The Philadelphia Mint can produce up to one million coins in 30 minutes. [ 6 ] The mint besides produces medals and awards for military, governmental, and civil services. Engraving of all dies and strikers only occurs hera. Uncirculated coins minted here have the “ P ” mint mark, while circulated coins from before 1980 carried no mint mark except the Jefferson nickels minted from 1942–1945 and the 1979 Susan B. Anthony dollar coins. Since 1980, all coins minted there have the “ P ” mint mark except cents ( although 2017 cents do have the “ P ” mint set ). Tours can be taken where all stages of minting are explained, along with displays of past equipment. This takes set via an enclose catwalk above the mint facility itself. diverse video stations are placed along the tour road, where visitors can push buttons to watch videos about diverse stages of the mint process. Most of those videos were narrated by Baseball Hall of Fame announcer for the Philadelphia Phillies ( and spokesperson of NFL Films ), Harry Kalas. [ 7 ]
On August 19, 1858, two well-groomed thieves on a go of the batch used a counterfeit key to open a display case. They made off with $ 265.00 in aureate pieces, but due to the rarity of the coins, the men were cursorily apprehended while trying to spend them in local shops. [ 8 ] [ 9 ] In 1893, Henry S. Cochran, a consider clerk, was found to have embezzled $ 134,000 in gold bars from the mint vault over a period of 8–10 years. A total of $ 107,000 was recovered from his home and from a cache in the breathing system inside the mint. [ 10 ] About 445,000 double eagle coins were minted in 1933, but only one was ever legally released. King Farouk of Egypt contacted Nellie Tayloe Ross, then Director of the U.S. Mint, and requested one 1933 double eagle for his extensive mint collection. Since the 1933 coins were not circulated, she took one mint to the Smithsonian Institution and received software documentation of its curio. She then issued an export text file allowing the egyptian king to receive his coin. After the deaths of Farouk and the general who inherited the king ‘s collection, the mint disappeared into a european collector ‘s possession. It resurfaced when Stephen Fenton acquired it. When he tried to auction it off, both he and the auction were arrested and the mint was seized. It was placed in the vault of the Secret Service in their office in the World Trade Center. While the birthplace and paperwork proving ownership was debated ad nauseam in the courts, the coin was transferred to Fort Knox for far guardianship. The World Trade Center was attacked and destroyed later that year. An agreement was reached between the U.S. Government and Stephen Fenton. The Fenton Farouk, as it came to be called, was sold at auction for $ 7.9 million in 2002 with a 10 % auctioneer ‘s premium and $ 20 to “ monetize ” the coin. Fenton and the government split the proceeds of the auction, with the provision that any far 1933 double eagles would be seized and not auctioned. [ 11 ] In 2003, a Philadelphia womanhood named Joan Switt Langbord found ten-spot 1933 double eagles in a condom down payment box that once belonged to her parents ; when she took them to be appraised, they were seized by the United States Treasury as stolen property. Investigators claimed that Langbord ‘s don, Israel Switt, conspired with a salesclerk inside the mint to steal the coins. He had been investigated previously for the crime, leading to the confiscation of respective aureate pieces, but the legislative act of limitations had prevented him from being prosecuted. [ 12 ] Langbord sued to have the coins returned to her, but in July 2011, a federal jury ruled the steal coins were place of the U.S. politics. [ 13 ] In September 2011, erstwhile mint military officer William Gray pleaded guilty in federal court to stealing error coins valued at $ 2.4 million and selling them to a allocator. [ 14 ]
Read more: United States Mint – Wikipedia